For the very first time, scientists have managed to directly photograph DNA itself using electron microscopy.
Until now, researchers have had to rely on X-ray crystallography - a technique that scatters atoms off of crystallized arrays of DNA, which then forms a pattern of dots on photographic film. Interpreting these can be difficult, and the complex mathematics involved is partly why is took so long for us to work out the double helix structure of DNA.
With this new technique, it’s possible to capture the famous double helix directly.
40 Interesting Dream Facts
- Every human dreams. There are tons of people who can’t remember their dreams when they wake up, but they still get them
- Human beings spend roughly around 6 years of their lifetime dreaming
- Sometimes we dream outside of our REM sleep (Rapid Eye Movement)
- Thousands of years ago, the Egyptians were the first to create a dream dictionary in 4000 B.C.E
- We roughly spend around 1/3 of our lives sleeping
- People who suffer from a personality disorder lack dream activity
- Our brains tend to be way more active when we sleep, than when we’re awake
- Humans tend to have around 3 to 7 dreams a night. We dream around 2 to 3 hours in a whole night
- 90% of the dream is lost the first minute we wake up
- Men tend to dream about men more than women, and women dream about people of both genders
FDA Approves Pill to Help Prevent HIV
The Food and Drug Administration has approved the first drug shown to reduce the risk of HIV infection, a milestone in the 30-year battle against the virus that causes AIDS.
Read more: http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news-FDA-Approves-Pill-To-Help-Prevent-HIV-071712.aspx